Thursday, December 3, 2015

Final Result Project Lab A

Long time no post.
I haven't posted anything in a long time so I thought it might be good to post a few things I have been doing since my last post.

So one of the problems that we had, was that it is only possible to blend two textures on mobile, while we had three textures. Since there isn't a fancy trick to solve this problem, my solution was to split up the terrain mesh into two parts. One would be the road and the other the sand around it. One of the two textures would be the same in both materials which would make up the blend between the road and the sand.
Red corresponds the texture used for blending
Another small problem would be that there was a seam visible along the edges that were cut, due to the normals of those vertices. This was simply solved by locking the normals before separating the road mesh, allowing the vertices to keep the right normal direction.

Below you can see what the Neppis project looked like at the start, and the final result.

Old vs New

Final outcome of some of the levels that were created for the Neppis project.

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Project Lab A

So school has officially started a few weeks ago and one of the big things at school is project lab, which is where I work two full days a week with other artists, programmers and designers to make a game. I am in a group of four other artists, three programmers, three designers and one producer. In this case our objective was to make a turn based race game for the mobile/tablet, the idea comes from Neppis which is a competitive outdoor sport mostly played in Finland.

In our game the car will have the size of a hotwheel just like in Neppis and will drive through a track which could be made by a child on the beach. It is much like midget golf but then with cars. I am the art lead and also responsible for the environments in the game. The image below shows the visual progress that we have right now. There are already some problems I know of that I am going to face in the future, one is the amount of blended textures that are possible for the terrain on mobile and also some optimizations that need to be made to let this game run smooth on mobile, but more on that later.

I also hope to upload some more pictures of a personal project that I'm working on right know, but I will do that when there is some more cool stuff to show. Thanks for reading!

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Short Introduction

Hello everybody, my name is Daniel Stok. I'm currently 21 years old and a second year student at the NHTV university of applied sciences in the Netherlands. I just finished the first year with a full 60 points which means that I have got my Propedeuse. I created this blog last year with the hope of filling it up throughout the year but never got to do it, so I will now post the main important courses I have had this year.

Block A: The main course was Modeling 1, where I had to recreate a chosen illusion in 3d within maya. Here is the outcome with a checker texture on it for unwrapping purposes.

Block B: The main course was Texturing 1, here I took the outcome of the first block and textured it. Not fully happy with the outcome since I would have liked to work more on the background.

Block C: The main course was Modeling 2. Here I made a car in autodesk maya using nurbs and rendered it with mental ray.

Block D: The main course was Texturing 2. I chose to do a little extra for this block, we got a robot model delivered which we could texture but instead I made my own robot model and textured it. More images here

Those were the main courses I had past year, it was a pretty fun year but also a very hard one since there was a heavy workload. Second year has just started and I hope to post more about the progress of various projects I am doing right now. Thanks for reading!